Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Venus de Milo

And you assumed Venus de Milo was a part of the Louvre's permanent collection.
Years ago, upon a tree on his front yard, a Lakewood resident sculpted his version of Venus de Milo .  He has long since vacated this residence, however the new owners maintain (although she is in desperate need of new coat of paint) the landmark intact and she remains to be seen by many.  Yet, when you looked at my portfolio "Lakewood: Portraits of a Sacred American Suburb" or my website you did not see this image nor will you ever.  Why?  From time to time I'll use photoshop to remove a piece of unwanted litter, but for the most part I merely adjust my scanned images to make the colors true.  I create images on film in camera, however in this case I've attempted to make a major alteration.  You see when the creator whittled his version of the famous Hellenistic statue in his front yard he modestly opted to carve the front side of Venus facing his home and her backside towards Lakewood Boulevard, Lakewood's major thoroughfare.   Unfortunately, no matter the time of day or light, photographing the front of Venus with Lakewood Blvd in the background just wasn't appealing, and photographing her backside with her home in the background didn't work as well.  So, I tried to cheat, but my photoshop skills are so bad and my conscious so annoying that didn't work either.



No comments:

Post a Comment